Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Just for a change -

My favourite tv programme of the moment.

Name - "Piha Rescue"

Type of programme - reality doco

My description -

Think of "Bay Watch", for about 50 millisecs. Remove Hasselhof and all the birds with tits.

Add -

* Sun (sometimes),
* Sand,
* Real people,
* surf
* rip and hole hazards (currents and the holes in the seabed)
* Amateur lifesaving crews - it is a sport for most of them
* and 2 foot of surf on a very calm day. Average is 4 foot. Prime surf is 6 to 7 foot. Extreme is over 8 foot.

The programme is "one day" set into a half hour format. Usually a weekend, and the action is tense. An average day is 10 to 12 rescues. A good day is anything less than that.


____________________________________

I used to hold the minimum qualification (shit, that was 35 years ago) and I have never been involved in a rescue. But I have an understanding of what these guys and girls do.

I sit in mute admiration for 30 minutes every week...

No comments: