Monday, September 11, 2006

"The Path to 9/11"

There is an interesting little clip over at "Not the Country Club" reviewing a CBC documentary entitled "Why We Fight". Read it, and the comments, then come back.

Right -

I did NOT watch Part 1 of "Path to 9/11".

I will NOT watch Part 2 of "Path to 9/11".

There is a very simple reason why not.

It is a dramatisation.

Why waste my time with this 2 or 4 hours of potential bullshit when it is hard enough determining how much of current news is fact, and how much of it is bullshit!

To be very clear about this, I would say - WILL say - the same thing about a programme entitled "The Path from 9/11" if it is also presented as a dramatisation. I think that I would probably not watch a totally factual, unmodified clips, as it happened, documentary on the same topic. It would be just too depressing.

Imagine for the moment, seeing Powell's address to the UNSC again. It is still vivid in my memory, if only because of the minders there at the podium with him. I still wonder what Rummies reaction might have been had Powell stood there and said,
"Well folks, its like this. We reckon this guy Saddam has got 90% of the way toward a viable nuclear weapon. We reckon this guy Saddam has close links with AlQaeda. We reckon that Saddam is a direct threat to the US, and will probably have ICBMs within the next few weeks. The CIA keep telling us we are wrong, that there is no evidence for this, but we - I mean the boss and co - still reckon we are right."

This is not a case of the media "getting it wrong" at all. In fact substantial and significant members of the global media community reported very correctly and accurately.

The bullshit was accurately reported.

No comments: