Sunday, September 04, 2005

I am now a NacMacFeegle.

I was going for ya, Brash Donnie, you were out front and leading strong.

There were doubts, like “gone by lunchtime” and “school vouchers” and “no more maori seats”. I was prepared to overlook those and take your word at trust. You spoke of referendums and I believed you. Bill English promoted the advantages of bulk funding of schools and I was prepared to over look the failure of the voluntary version. I was prepared to overlook the schools with BOT’s who could not manage a raffle.

I had doubts alright, Brash Bonnie, almighty doubts.

But I was prepared to vote National on the party vote.

Then I started getting these weird flashbacks.

There are the vague images of dancing cossacks. The Muldoon fear tactics that defeated compulsory superannuation that Labour government.

There are echoes of the prattling policies of the “cut the rates” councillor. “look at the waste...look at the waste...”. There are the lists of “wasteful expenditure”. There are the simplistic pleas to the purse-strings of the economically insecure. Good ideas, Brash Donnie, but there is “waste” in every government. It is of the nature of the beast. It is how government ensures the continuing fealty and support of its sponsors. Ah, those echoes... “trickle down”, “mother of all budgets”, “Business Round Table”... How well remembered they are.

We have the blatant appeals to the foibles and idiosyncrasies of the idiot majorities. You know the ones, Brash Donnie. The speeders, the traffic light runners, the dangerous overtakers, the people who believe that a traffic offence is a “revenue raising exercise”; not a case of their having broken the law.

If I leave the tax cuts out of the equation, Brash Donnie, just what am I voting for?

I can only assume that it is for a party with no new ideas. It is a vote for a party that has no new policy. It is a party that is relying upon prejudices and fears to gain votes. It is for a party that is prepared to promote the breach of traffic laws.


I think it was the tv advertisement that did it.

I am now a dyed in the face NacMacFeegal.

“Nae King!!! Nae Quin!!! Nae laird!!! Nae master!!! We’ll nae be fooled again!!!

No comments: