Monday, December 08, 2008

Person of the Year - 2008

It being close to the end of the year, there is the annual crop of “… of the Year” awards. First out of the blocks (that I have read) is Granny Herald, who gave their (four or five) lists on Saturday.



And, I must say, I fully support their choice for this year for “Person of the Year”. (Read the first three pages at least). It is this time a joint award to two men. Both were involved in actions of the greatest bravery and courage.



Both of the two men did what they thought was right. Both of the two men achieved (at least in part) the objective that they set, which was the preservation of the lives of others.



Regrettably, both men lost their lives in their efforts; one stabbed to death in a public place at 5 pm. as he left his office, the other drowned in a flooded river with a disabled teenage lad strapped to his chest.



And, I have to say, these men epitomise (for me at least) the sacrifice and dedication that is true Christianity. That is not because they lost their lives. It is because (as one relative said it) they are the true Good Samaritans. There are few enough in this world. There are two (pun absolutely intended) fewer today.



How many others who call themselves “true Christians” would have the courage to do the same as these two.



I know that I could not say “I would”.



From the article I have linked above, I want to include just one quote, a letter written by one of the deceased’s sister to his wife. It is actually a quote from Martin Luther King –

And so the first question that the priest asked -- the first question that the Levite asked was, "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But then the Good Samaritan came by. And he reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?"

No comments: