Sunday, July 01, 2007

i-things...

WHY??


TF asks "Why not?"

Well I guess that the answer to that runs something like this -

Our (15 year old) tv is developing an intermittent fault. The cause is most likely a small capacitor in the colour decode sections somewhere. The part would probably be worth $2, maybe at the outside $10. IF I could find someone reliable to do the repair, it would be worth the bother to get it fixed.

I could spend anywhere from $800 to $8,000 replacing it.

The rebuttal to TF's question is this -

If I spend $8,000 on a new tv, does the extra expense improve the quality of the programmes any?

So it is with i-things. If I spend USD1,000 to have the latest means of accessing the 'net, does that improve the crap (including what I write) any? Does it make a better telephone than what I already got? Judging by the frustrations experienced by the executives at work with their Bluetooths, Sharktooths, Elephanttusks, eyepods or whatever the flavour of the month is, does it make communication any more effective or efficient?

Anyone getting the feeling that the ol' probligo is a Luddite?

2 comments:

T. F. Stern said...

why not?

Eugene Tan said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I am a techno-idiot. The best days were pre-pager. Now, with cellphones and email, my life is in the dumps!