Monday, July 03, 2006

When in "Rome"

Some while back, I read a review (can't remember who blogged it or I would give credit where due) giving a strong recommendation for "Rome".

I watched the first episode last night, so this is very much first impression.

I did not like it...

The violence I expected. It adds little, but is part of the story, (in the same way as having the graphic depiction of a Maori chief chomping off the end of a detached, raw, and bloody, penis was part of that story).

The sex, simulated or not, ranging from a casual rape to the interior of a Roman knocking shop reminded me of scenes filmed by Ingmar Bergmann running on a closed loop.

The historic detail I have to accept as being "reasonably accurate".

Entertaining? The kind of thing I might watch on Sunday evening? Errm, not.

The Maori programme?

It is called "Taonga" (Treasures). They are half hour long stories taken from Maori history. The one I referred to above was also last night. It was the story of Lucy Takiora Lord, a half-caste Maori woman who spent a good few years guiding first the British Army then later the mercenary von Tempsky in their attempts to remove the Maori from Taranaki. Lord left behind a diary which has formed the basis not only for this programme, but far more importantly for claims against the Government for breaches of the Waitaingi Treaty and for what these days would be termed "crimes against humanity".

Chilling, chilling history. Never taught in the schools in my time. There are few who would teach the whole, unadorned history even now.

No comments: